This spring has brought untold changes to everyone’s lives. When the Covid-19 virus began to unfold in March, the Opera postponed the production of Susannah until June. At the time it was thought that the Vocal Competition and the Grand Finale Concert might be spared, but it was quickly discovered that the company would have to cancel all April and May performances.
Now the opera is faced with the reality that Susannah will have to be cancelled too. This decision was painful to make, especially knowing that the Opera’s patrons will not get to see this beautiful opera or hear the incredible voices of its remarkable cast. Everyone is deeply impacted by these events. The Annapolis Opera greatly appreciates all the support received from the community.Ticket holders for these cancelled events can contact Maryland Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org to either:
- Donate the value of your ticket(s) to The Annapolis Opera and receive a tax receipt in the mail. Your donation will directly support The Annapolis Opera.
- Exchange ticket(s) to any event in next season. From July 1, 2020 through September 1, 2020, you can exchange your tickets to another Annapolis Opera production in the 2020-2021 season. You must contact Maryland Hall at email@example.com during the exchange window to process your exchange. *Ticket prices vary. Exchanges may be subject to additional charges based on seating and performance choice.
In Carlisle Floyd’s powerful opera Susannah, a beautiful and virtuous 18-year-old girl has inadvertently incited the lust of her church elders. The church leaders accuse her of being a seductress, and the entire town turns against her. When the new pastor, Reverend Blitch, urges her to repent her alleged sins, she refuses, inflaming the reverend’s own desires – with disastrous consequences. Based on the biblical story “Susannah and the Elders,” this 1954 opera is set in rural Tennessee and is rich with Appalachian folk melodies and connections to the McCarthy era in which it was written.
Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 7:30 PM | Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 3 PM
Maryland Hall | 801 Chase Street, Annapolis, MD
- Ronald J. Gretz Conductor
- Braxton Peters Director
- Colleen Daly Susannah Polk
- Matthew Vickers Sam Polk
- Ben Wager Olin Blitch
- Ian McEuen Little Bat McLean
- Michael Nansel Elder McLean
- Andrew Sauvageau Elder Gleaton
- James Bailey Elder Hayes
- Vincent Grana Elder Ott
- Madeleine Gray Mrs. McLean
- Kyle Engler Mrs. Gleaton