For over 25 years, Annapolis Opera’s Vocal Competition has given opera students and young professionals in the Mid-Atlantic region the opportunity to hone their craft by performing for a blue-ribbon panel of judges comprised of respected music educators and opera performers. It also gives Music Director Ronald Gretz a chance to discover new talent for upcoming Annapolis Opera productions. The competition is fierce, with the eight finalists selected from more than 100 outstanding applicants! Prizes total more than $10,000, with each finalist receiving from $500 to $2,500.
Held at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts, the competition spans a weekend, with both semi-finals and finals open to the public and FREE, due to a generous grant from The Helena Foundation, Jim and Sylvia Earl.
The company’s 26th annual competition will be held on Saturday, May 3 and Sunday, May 4, 2014. Online applications will be available in December, 2013.
- Be 20-35 years of age as of May 1, 2014
- Be residents, students or working in Maryland, Delaware, the District of Columbia Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia or full or part-students attending Westminister Choir College (a division of the Westminster College of the Arts, Rider University) or Rutgers (State University of New Jersey at New Brunswick
- Be available in person for both the semi-final and final rounds
- Provide a preliminary round CD containing at least 3 arias and, on the application, specify 5 memorized arias in their original language and key, with at least 3 languages represented, including English
- Pay a $25 non-refundable application fee
For further information, email email@example.com.
Grand Prize Clark Award
Conductor/Director Grand Prize Award
| Jonathan Beyer
Third Prize Hughes Award
Audience Choice Award
Fourth Prize Harry Lindauer Memorial Award
Adrienne Goldberg & Conductor/Director Study Award
| Madelyn Wanner
Todd Duncan & Carrie Kellogg Ray Study Award
Severn Town Club Study Award
Links of Annapolis Study Award