For over 25 years, Annapolis Opera’s Vocal Competition has given opera students and young professionals in the Mid-Atlantic region the opportunity to hone their craft by performing for a blue-ribbon panel of judges comprised of respected music educators and opera performers. It also gives Music Director Ronald Gretz a chance to discover new talent for upcoming Annapolis Opera productions. The competition is fierce, with the eight finalists selected from more than 100 outstanding applicants! Prizes total more than $10,000, with each finalist receiving from $500 to $3,500.
Held at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts, the competition spans a weekend, with both semi-finals and finals open to the public and FREE, due to a generous grant from The Helena Foundation, Jim and Sylvia Earl.
The 27th annual competition will be held on Saturday, April 25 amd Sunday, April 26, 2015. Online applications will be available in January, 2015.
- Be 20-35 years of age as of April 1, 2015
- Be residents, students or working in Maryland, Delaware, the District of Columbia Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia or full or part-students attending Westminister Choir College (a division of the Westminster College of the Arts, Rider University) or Rutgers (State University of New Jersey at New Brunswick
- Be available in person for both the semi-final and final rounds
- Provide a preliminary round CD containing at least 3 arias and, on the application, specify 5 memorized arias in their original language and key, with at least 3 languages represented, including English
- Pay a $30 non-refundable application fee
For further information, email Vocalcompetition@annapolisopera.org.
Huanhuan Ma, Soprano
Grand Prize Clark Award
Conductor/Director Grand Prize Award
Ariana Wehr, Soprano
|Brian Major, BaritoneThird Prize Hughes Award||
Marina Costa-Jackson, Soprano
Links of Annapolis Study Award
|Kevin Wetzel, BaritoneSevery Town Club Study Award||Wei Wu, BassCol. Harry Lindauer & Carrie Kellogg Ray
Memorial Study Award
|John Viscardi, Lytic BaritoneTodd Duncan Study Award
DiLeonardo-Rosario Audience Choice Award
Adrienne Goldberg Study Award