The Annapolis Opera Company (AOC) is seeking a full-time Development Manager (DM) to lead the organization’s fundraising activities.
ABOUT THE ANNAPOLIS OPERA COMPANY
The Annapolis Opera is in its 48th year of providing professionally staged operas and concerts in Annapolis, Maryland region. Our mission is to enhance the cultural life of the region by presenting artistically excellent opera programming and educational experiences while furthering the development of emerging performing arts professionals. In a typical year, AOC produces two fully staged operas, two or more concert programs, a Children’s Opera, a Vocal Competition, an annual fundraising gala, multiple community outreach events, and a series of educational presentations related to the artform. In response to Covid-19 restrictions, the company has launched new partnerships with other arts organizations and has greatly increased its online programming capacity. The FY2021 operating budget is $600,000.
This newly created position is a unique opportunity for a fundraising professional who is interested in joining an energized organization with exciting, expanded artistic initiatives. These initiatives position the company for new connections to prospective donors and strengthened relationships with current donors.
Reporting to the General Director, the Development Manager (DM) will work closely with the Board and Artistic and Music Director. The DM will spearhead all efforts related to fundraising with a particular focus on growing the number of donors and solicitation, substantially building the major gifts program, pipeline development, cultivation, and stewardship.
The DM must be well organized, self-directed, detail-oriented, and have excellent writing and people skills. S/he will be able to take the lead on developing a comprehensive annual fund strategy and cultivating and soliciting donors. Importantly, s/he will exhibit expertise in effectively supporting Board members as fundraisers. The DM will ensure that the development function integrates closely with the marketing and communications function of the organization.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create and implement a coherent development strategy including annual fundraising events and ensure key goals are met. Emphasis on developing relationships with current and lapsed donors, prospects, subscribers, foundations, and corporations.
- Develop and implement a stewardship strategy.
- Develop new ways to build the major donor prospect pipeline and expand the total donor base.
- Develop and implement a strategy to engage foundations and corporations.
- Manage direct mail appeals seeking individual contributions and matching corporate gifts.
- Ensure proper administration of donor benefits.
- Conduct prospect research and maintain donor and prospect files through effective database management.
- Work with Board members, major donors, and others to implement fundraising strategies.
- Design and manage fundraising events that also enhance the visibility of the organization in the community.
- Provide effective reporting on development goals and results for the General Director, the board and the development committee including projections, potential action planning, evaluation, and analysis.
- Support research and grant writing for program and capital support when necessary.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of direct fundraising experience and proven success in building fundraising strategies with an emphasis on major gifts and annual fund.
- Experience with integrating communications and fundraising strategies including website and social media.
- Experience in the performing arts field is a plus.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Entrepreneurial attitude and proven success in building an effective fundraising program. Driven by results.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Sophistication and poise to speak convincingly to donors.
- Ability to deliver results in a busy professional environment.
- Strong problem solving, research, and analytical skills.
- Comfortable using office and database technologies. Knowledge of Neon Z System CRM preferred but not required.
- Commitment to Annapolis Opera Company’s mission, purpose, and values.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Must have reliable transportation.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time position. The AOC assumes responsibility for applicable withholding taxes and provides employees personal leave and a IRA investment program. The initial evaluation period is six months and would be renewed as a permanent position, based on performance. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Salary range is$42 – $48k.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, three current references (with email address and phone numbers) and no more than 3 samples of work from relevant previous experiences to Kathy Swekel at email@example.com. No calls please.
Materials will be reviewed immediately with a start date in early 2021.